Re: D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 05:49:23PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I wonder where these defaults came from?  The last I heard was that yaird
> would be favored in the installer, but initramfs-tools would be listed as
> the first alternative in the kernel package dependencies to provide a better
> upgrade path from sarge.
>
> I've only tested initramfs-tools on alpha anyway and have no idea
> whether/how well yaird works, so I'm not going to push to change this for
> beta2, I'm just wondering why it's done this way.

Well I know yaird failed to boot my SATA + MD raid1 + LVM setup, while
initramfs-tools made a perfectly functional initrd for the setup.

So far I am going to stick with initramfs-tools since it seems much more
complete.  yaird doesn't even seem to let you pass a new root= on the
kernel command line.  At least last I looked at it a few weeks ago it
hard coded it at initrd creation time along with a comment about how
this needed to be fixed at some point.

Len Sorensen