Re: D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 02:49, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I wonder where these defaults came from?  The last I heard was that
> yaird would be favored in the installer, but initramfs-tools would be
> listed as the first alternative in the kernel package dependencies to
> provide a better upgrade path from sarge.

Personally I've always slightly favored initramfs-tools for d-i based on
my experiences during installations.

For alpha yaird was broken at the time these defaults were set (IIRC that
was listed on the initrd replacement wiki).

For i386 and amd64 the decision was strongly influenced by the fact that
initramfs dealt with some fairly common situations, like loading drivers
that don't yet support sysfs (BusLogic comes to mind).
It was also anticipating somewhat on the switch to initramfs-tools as
default for 2.6.15 (which was the main reason to also set powerpc to
initramfs-tools).

For the other arches yaird was often the only choice because of klibc
FTBFSing or it was chosen because of lack of data

Another factor was that initramfs-tools support was implemented in
base-installer first by Kamion as Ubuntu uses it. For a while
initramfs-tools was the _only_ option supported by d-i. Consistency
between Debian and Ubuntu is also a factor.

A last factor was yaird depending on perl which could be a problem for
netinst CD size.

So, if anything, the dice were loaded in favor of initramfs-tools, not
yaird :-)