Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

Mohammed Adnène Trojette wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2006, Davide Viti wrote:

I just built [1] which, apart from the patched cdebconf, is the same
image as the one uploaded a couple of days ago [2]: please (adn) let us know if this
fixes the problem!

Here are the results: the cut-aleph problem is gone in the version with
borders[0]. You may compare in this image[1]. Aleph (vertical bar glyph)
is the first character in the box under the progress bar. You'll notice
that it is not cut in the version with border on the right.

[0] http://adn.diwi.org/tmp/nazli-border.png
[1] http://adn.diwi.org/tmp/with-or-without-border.png

As far as I could go (network was not working), the rest of the
installer looked OK from an Arabic viewpoint. Thanks everyone!

As the "cutted" character at the beginning of sentences is due to a well known GTKDFB bug, i'll send a bugreport today to GNOME's BTS, so that it can get fixed in GTK 2.10. As a temporary workaround for this, i'll commit the patch that, adding some blank pixels at the beginning of title, description, extended description and prograssbar text, seems to have fixed the problem basing on experiments made last night by Davide and Mohammed. I'm very sorry i didn't realize before that this GTKDFB bug, that i considered minor and not even worth to be reported, could cause non-latin characters to become completly unreadable :( Anyway, i'm happy about the fact that the g-i project is contributing a lot to the debugging of GTKDFB: i hope that in the next months we'll be able to catch some more bugs, so that GTKDFB gets a major cleanup before GTK+ 2.10 is released [1].

friendly

Attilio

[1] http://www.gtk.org/plan/2.10/