Re: G-I - New challenge: dependency of pango on cairo

Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
Frans Pop wrote:

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 18:42, Dave Beckett wrote:

The alternative is this, which looks more complete and was posted to
the Cairo list last month.  It even mentions Debian:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-November/005625.html

Yeah, we kind of started that off by choosing directfb for the installer :-) See this thread for the context:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-November/msg00057.html

This is probably the way to go when this is officially released. That's why I'm confident we can do this as a shortterm solution and switch later.

As mike posted on directfb-dev today [1], merging Cairo's DFB backend onto Cairo mainline is near; also, consider that mike will attend at the Extremadura January meeting, so there is some concrete chance that cairo will have very soon a working DFB backend without the need for patches to be applied to sources.

I've just realized i was missing the conclusion :(
Since mike plans to merge cairodfb into cairo very soon ( one or two months approximatively? ) maybe the simplest way to proceed is staying with the hacked cairodfb package fow now and creting an official libcairodfb later from from cairo mainline as soon as it officially includes the DFB backend. Since the g-i already is based on hacked packages and tarballs, depending on one more non standard package shouldn't be a problem for the short-time, i suppose..

ciao

Attilio