Re: G-I - New challenge: dependency of pango on cairo

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 18:42, Dave Beckett wrote:
> If you want to, I'd be happy to be co-maintainer for this for updating
> it from the Cairo side of things.

Oh, that would be very welcome. Happy for you to be maintainer, but I
guess subscribing to the pts after the package is accepted should work
just as well. Let me know.

> That's one approach, or I could just add the directfb patch to the main
> cairo package but that has it's own dangers and I'd prefer to remain
> aligned with cairo upstream.

I agree a separate package is the better option for now. Also, you'd still
have to solve the problem how to configure the package for X for main
debs and for DirectFB for the udeb.
For D-I we preferably don't want both enabled because of deps and size.

> The alternative is this, which looks more complete and was posted to
> the Cairo list last month.  It even mentions Debian:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-November/005625.html

Yeah, we kind of started that off by choosing directfb for the
installer :-)  See this thread for the context:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-November/msg00057.html

This is probably the way to go when this is officially released. That's
why I'm confident we can do this as a shortterm solution and switch
later.

Cheers,
FJP