Re: G-I - New challenge: dependency of pango on cairo

Frans Pop wrote:
Thanks for the pointer. Together with the hint from Attilio, I have created a brand new (temporary) package libcairo-directfb that only creates a udeb for libcairo compiled against directfb. I have tested it in the installer and I've seen no problems either building or running it.

This new package is available from:
http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/libcairo-directfb/

The package is based on Dave's libcairo package and has the same upstream source tarball.

My reasons for creating a new package were:
- the patch from directfb needed to be applied
- after that the configure script needed to be regenerated
- the udeb needs different configuration options
- cdbs currently has very limited support for building (u)debs with
  different configs

If you want to, I'd be happy to be co-maintainer for this for updating it from the Cairo side of things.

The udeb Provides: libcairo2 to satisfy the dependency from libpango1.0-udeb.

There is ongoing work upstream to integrate directfb support in cairo.
I also understand from Jeff that he has plans that will make it easier in cdbs to support building a package with different config options. When this is done, we should be hopefully able to make the switch to a udeb from the main libcairo package.

That's one approach, or I could just add the directfb patch to the main cairo package but that has it's own dangers and I'd prefer to remain aligned with cairo upstream.

I'd appreciate it if people could look over the new package and give me some feedback before I upload it.
Dave, do you see any objections or alternatives to this approach?

The alternative is this, which looks more complete and was posted to the Cairo list last month. It even mentions Debian:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-November/005625.html

(I haven't tested it)

[snip]

Dave