Re: SATA+ IDE DVD-Writer crash, and missing /dev/fd0

"J. Grant" <jg@jguk.org> writes:

> [please include my email address in any replies]
>
> Hi, Thanks for your reply.
>
> [...]
>>> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/kernel-image-2.6-k7
>> There is also a 2.6.10 and 2.6.11. The kernel-image-2.6-* will at
>> some
>> point point to those newer versions.
>
> Ah, ok. 2.6.11 is in "testing", but not the default in "testing" for
> some reason
> yet either. Is it not policy to set the latest kernel to the default
> in the release series..?
>
> [...]
>> cramfs can't be altered, only created. It is better to use mkinitrd
>> though to recreate the image the same way it was originaly created. If
>> you configure mkinitrd correct the next kernel-image you install will
>> automatically get the initrd build right.
>
> So if I put my desired modules in  /etc/mkinitrd/modules it will
> override initrd loadmodules ?

The manpage says it will load them but not copy them onto the initrd
in the first place, which sounds broken by design. Aparently you have
to add a script in the scripts dir to copy the module.

>> Since you are not using the SCSI transport (which was the point of all
>> this) you are not affected by this.
>
> Is there a reason why the deprecated ide_scsi is being added to the
> initrd? It seems odd that it is left in if it is better for me to write
> with /dev/hda  who decides what gets added to the initrd loadmodules ?

Other than stupidity? :)

In /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf there is a setting concerning modules:

# What modules to install.
MODULES=most

Using dep sounds better.

Unfortunately there isn't a 'listed' to only get modules one listed
manualy.

> [...]
>> I use the following:
>> export NUM=1; ( echo "dvd$NUM"; find dvd$NUM -type f -exec ls -ld
>> "{}" \; ; ) >>DVD-list; mkisofs -v -R -J -U -V "data - DVD$NUM" -o
>> dvd$NUM.iso dvd$NUM && cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 -v speed=4 fs=64m
>> -eject driveropts=burnfree -dao dvd$NUM.iso && eject -t && ( cd
>> dvd$NUM; find . -type f -exec md5sum "{}" \; ; cd ..; ) | ( mount
>> /cdrom && cd /cdrom && md5sum -c -v; cd; umount /cdrom ); eject
>
> Ok, thanks for this.  I may do it this way, or do an md5sum of the ISO,
> and then  /dev/hda after it finished.
>
> Does cdrecord now support DVD writing then? I only have a "dvdrecord"
> branch of cdrecord, in non-free.  Is there a package I can get to burn
> dvds with cdrecord?

The cdrecord source contains a patch for dvd support but is not
included in the default build due to the upstreams wishes. To use the
patch you just have to set "dvd=yes" (iirc) in debian/rules and
recompile.

> I was using growisofs to burn DVD-R's.  If you have a better suggestion
> for burning DVD-Rs I would appreciate it.
>
> Kind regards
> JG

MfG
        Goswin