Re: SATA+ IDE DVD-Writer crash, and missing /dev/fd0

[please include my email address in any replies]

Hi Goswin von Brederlow,

Thanks for your quick reply.

[...]
The floppy module could probably be autoloaded just in case in the
installed system as well. You could maybe discuss this with the
discover maintainer.

Ok, I have emailed them.

Grub builds a special boot floppy image I think. The stage files for
harddisk are different I think. But I must admit I never made a grub
floppy.

/usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz  reveals:

===================
4) thats it, making sure you have a rescue disk or some other way to boot
   your machine attempt to reboot using grub!

   to create a grub boot floppy:

   cat /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 > /dev/fd0
========================

This is what I did, but there is no menu, only a grub prompt.

I will email pkg-grub-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org and see if they can
help. I noticed this package which could be of use:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/grub-disk

Although they both just create a floppy with a grub prompt, there is
no menu, and no indication of how to use my menu.lst from the "help".

[...]
This is my boot config:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-k7
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-k7 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-k7
savedefault
boot

The initrd might have the ide-scsi module on it and load it. Or
something loads it later on. Hard to say without watching it boot and
probing the files.

If nothing works to disable it you can compile your own kernel without
ide-scsi support. Or try a newer kernel from etch or sid.

If I modify initrd to not contain ide-scsi how will my system be able to
boot off my SATA drive?

Is there a way I can get my SATA drive to boot not ending up running
through SCSI sub-system?

would a newer kernel use something other than ide-scsi for SATA drive
access?  I am not sure how my root would be mountable if I remove
ide-scsi from initrd, or if etch/sid remove ide-scsi from their initrd.

Can I run my VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80) as something like
/dev/hde ?  I had a highpoint ATA133 RAID on my last motherboard, and
they appeared as /dev/hde

If I build my own kernel, how will the kernel+initrd without ide-scsi be
able to mount my root SATA partition..?

Kind regards
JG
--