Re: SATA+ IDE DVD-Writer crash, and missing /dev/fd0

[please include my email address in any replies]

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

[...]
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/kernel-image-2.6-k7

There is also a 2.6.10 and 2.6.11. The kernel-image-2.6-* will at some
point point to those newer versions.

Ah, ok. 2.6.11 is in "testing", but not the default in "testing" for some reason yet either. Is it not policy to set the latest kernel to the default in the release series..?

[...]
cramfs can't be altered, only created. It is better to use mkinitrd
though to recreate the image the same way it was originaly created. If
you configure mkinitrd correct the next kernel-image you install will
automatically get the initrd build right.

So if I put my desired modules in  /etc/mkinitrd/modules it will
override initrd loadmodules ?

Since you are not using the SCSI transport (which was the point of all
this) you are not affected by this.

Is there a reason why the deprecated ide_scsi is being added to the
initrd? It seems odd that it is left in if it is better for me to write
with /dev/hda  who decides what gets added to the initrd loadmodules ?

[...]
I use the following:

export NUM=1; ( echo "dvd$NUM"; find dvd$NUM -type f -exec ls -ld "{}" \; ; ) >>DVD-list; mkisofs -v -R -J -U -V "data - DVD$NUM" -o dvd$NUM.iso dvd$NUM && cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 -v speed=4 fs=64m -eject driveropts=burnfree -dao dvd$NUM.iso && eject -t && ( cd dvd$NUM; find . -type f -exec md5sum "{}" \; ; cd ..; ) | ( mount /cdrom && cd /cdrom && md5sum -c -v; cd; umount /cdrom ); eject

Ok, thanks for this.  I may do it this way, or do an md5sum of the ISO,
and then  /dev/hda after it finished.

Does cdrecord now support DVD writing then? I only have a "dvdrecord"
branch of cdrecord, in non-free.  Is there a package I can get to burn
dvds with cdrecord?

I was using growisofs to burn DVD-R's.  If you have a better suggestion
for burning DVD-Rs I would appreciate it.

Kind regards
JG