Re: SATA+ IDE DVD-Writer crash, and missing /dev/fd0

[please include my email address in any replies]

Hi Goswin von Brederlow,

Thanks for your quick reply.

[...]
Does the floppy module get loaded at all? Any mentioning of floppy in
dmesg after boot? Does lsmod show the floppy module?

lsmod did not show the flopppy module, and dmsg did not say anything
about floppy or fd0 when booting.

Try modprobe floppy as root.

Ok, this got it. I wonder why it does not load it initialy? Adding it to
/etc/modules forces it to load.

I expect debian-installer did "modprobe floppy" then, could the 2nd
stage of the install check if the /etc/fstab device nodes are created so
that the floppy module can be loaded by /etc/modules ?

[...]
Don't use ide-scsi. With kernel 2.6.x you can burn directly with ide
without the use of scsi emulation. For cdrecord (or dvdrecord) use

cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus

Hmm, this gives me an error, any ideas?

# cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
J�g Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-2-k7
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root
programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
scsidev: 'ATA:'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -1 target: -1 lun: -1
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

I do not have a /dev/hda node for my NEC DVD writer, it seems that
because SATA goes through SCSI code, the SCSI also grabs /dev/hda

I try and force the IDE to grab it, but it makes no difference with, or
without this kernel command line:

title           Test kernel 2.6.8-2-k7
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-k7 root=/dev/sda3 ide-cd=/dev/hda ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-k7
savedefault
boot

Is there any way i can prevent SCSI grabbing my IDE DVD Writer? Or is it
prefered to have IDE DVD Writers running through Linux SCSI subsystem?

# cdrecord -scanbus
[...]

Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) '' '' '' Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) '_NEC    ' 'DVD_RW ND-2500A ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) *
        2,3,0   203) *
        2,4,0   204) *
        2,5,0   205) *
        2,6,0   206) *
        2,7,0   207) *

Other tools should have something similar.

Why is sd_mod in /etc/modules after my sarge install?  It triggers the
load of loads of scsi modules like sr_mod and ide_scsi etc..

Is there no way to get a SATA drive to appear as /dev/hde etc?  That
is how my RAID ATA133 hard drive used to appear on my old machine.

Nearly all SATA drivers have switched over to using the scsi block
device layer in the kernel and will appear as scsi devices. The old
ide block layer is somewhat deprecated nowadays. The difference is
that as /dev/sd* it works better. :)

Ok, thats good.  Just need to get /dev/scd0 to stop crashing the system
when I use it..   (SCSI ID  2,0,0)

I would like to get the floppy drive working for emergencies in case I
need to boot.  I followed the instructions of dd the stage1 an stage2
onto the fd0 from Mandrake box but it would not boot off it.  Do I need
to patch up a menu.lst file?  LILO used to work fine with this fd0
drive, also the fd0 drive works fine from MS-Windows.

Tips, FAQs or assistance appreaciated!

apt-get install lilo. You don't have to use grub.

I would like to get Grub working as that is what I have at present.  If
debian-install is only providing one choice there must be a reason grub
is better than lilo..

Kind regards
JG

p.s. The relavent part of the dmesg

Any idea why it is deciding to use ide-scsi for /dev/hda?

This causes this erro as well:
"ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX"

SCSI subsystem initialized
libata version 1.02 loaded.
sata_via version 0.20
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0f.0[B] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 185
sata_via(0000:00:0f.0): routed to hard irq line 10
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xEFF0 ctl 0xEFE6 bmdma 0xEF90 irq 185
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xEFA8 ctl 0xEFE2 bmdma 0xEF98 irq 185
ata1: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4003 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4003
88:407f
ata1: dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133, 390721968 sectors: lba48
ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
scsi0 : sata_via
ata2: no device found (phy stat 00000000)
scsi1 : sata_via
Using anticipatory io scheduler
  Vendor: ATA       Model: ST3200822AS       Rev: 3.01
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
SCSI device sda: 390721968 512-byte hdwr sectors (200050 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
hda: _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: WDC WD2000LB-00EDA0, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX
as device
scsi2 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: _NEC      Model: DVD_RW ND-2500A   Rev: 1.06
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 5

This is my boot config:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-k7
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-k7 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-k7
savedefault
boot