Re: tell about the technology

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:28:03AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Geert Stappers (stappers@stappers.nl):
>
> > > I don't think "Logical Volume" is clear in this context (it doesn't make
> > > me immediatly think of LVM, and mentioning RAID is a red herring, LVM is
> > > not RAID.
> >
> > Educate users by using jargon from the beginning.
> > Hiding technical details now shall boomerang us later.
>
> I won't develop and certainly won't jump into a deep discussion but
> I'm afraid I consider this a typically geeky attitude (I hope I won't
> offend you as I certainly don't want to). My own first goal is not
> educating users but rather serving their needs. Most of them (not
> all...most) do not really want to be educated, they more want to have
> a working operating system.
>
> Average Bob/Jane does not really care of what LVM is and probably does
> not need it. However, if (s)he sees a menu entry with that kind of
> jargon, he will probably stop and begin to worry about what the hell
> this installer is asking him/her.
>
> The usability reports we already had (a few girlfriend/boyfriend-style
> install reports...) have already shown this and, despite the efforts,
> I'm afraid we are here and there still too jargonic.
>

> Most, if not all, d-i contributors have already shown they follow that
> reasoning.. I hope that those who don't will consider this approach.
>
> About telling the technology, the installer documentation may be the
> good place for developing concepts like explaining LVM, for instance.

Explaining LVM in the manual only makes sense when LVM is mentioned
during install. I have no idea how to avoid jargon during talking about
a topic. Each area does have his own jargon. Even none nerd things like
music or dance. Main issue is computer technogly is again an area with
his own jargon. Hidding it at all costs, will only cost more on the long
run. I agree that there is no reason to scare new people, in fact they
are very welcome and I do my best to bring free software to a large
audience. This is where we have a common interrest. D-I recommends "all
in a single partition" for new users. Protect them, the newbies, from
other technology ( arg, I loop )
It is not geeky, it is marketing. Joe Doe does known about turbo
chargers for engines, VHS video records. Speaks about a DVD, never about
a Digital Versatile Disc. A CD is CD. And the home cinema set must have
the latest Dolby Surround technology. We, free software community,
do marketing by providing (proven) technology, hidding it, will harm
marketing.
Indeed, users have their needs, it is good to make it accesable.
But keep in mind that it is technology what they to use ( what they need )

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
Allowing doing stupid things, means also allowing doing smart things.