Re: tell about the technology

Quoting Geert Stappers (stappers@stappers.nl):

> > I don't think "Logical Volume" is clear in this context (it doesn't make
> > me immediatly think of LVM, and mentioning RAID is a red herring, LVM is
> > not RAID.
>
> Educate users by using jargon from the beginning.
> Hiding technical details now shall boomerang us later.

I won't develop and certainly won't jump into a deep discussion but
I'm afraid I consider this a typically geeky attitude (I hope I won't
offend you as I certainly don't want to). My own first goal is not
educating users but rather serving their needs. Most of them (not
all...most) do not really want to be educated, they more want to have
a working operating system.

Average Bob/Jane does not really care of what LVM is and probably does
not need it. However, if (s)he sees a menu entry with that kind of
jargon, he will probably stop and begin to worry about what the hell
this installer is asking him/her.

The usability reports we already had (a few girlfriend/boyfriend-style
install reports...) have already shown this and, despite the efforts,
I'm afraid we are here and there still too jargonic.

Most, if not all, d-i contributors have already shown they follow that
reasoning.. I hope that those who don't will consider this approach.

About telling the technology, the installer documentation may be the
good place for developing concepts like explaining LVM, for instance.