Re: partman-auto-lvm templates

Christian Perrier wrote:
> What is the exact meaning of the partman-auto-lvm/text/vg_all_free
> string ?
>

> I understand this adds a new recipe to partman-auto. The text
> currently reads "Use free space for LVM" which is probably a bit
> cryptic when seen by newbies.
>
> What *exactly* will this do? Will it create a Logical Volume in the
> current free space on all hard disks ?

Yep. However, I actually made the string somewhat general on purpose
because I felt that the exact behavior of what free space it uses might
change.

> If so, I would reformulate this as "Use all free space for one Logical
> Volume" or "Use all free space for a (software) RAID volume" if we
> want to avoid jargon...

I don't think "Logical Volume" is clear in this context (it doesn't make
me immediatly think of LVM, and mentioning RAID is a red herring, LVM is
not RAID.

--
see shy jo