Re: Why isn't console-cyrillic part of console-data?

На 26 юли 2004 Eugeniy Meshcheryakov написа:
> Anton Zinoviev написав:
> >
> > Another difference (that made console-cyrillyc the best choice for the
> > Cyrillic languages) are the debconf questions during the installation.
> >
> Oops, now there is no such question for Serbian, Russian and Ukrainian :-)

Oops! I decided to try the installer with Russian language. Which one of
the following scenarios you like more:

RUSSIAN
   - console-cyrillic is configured with default settings during the
     first stage
   - it is activated during the base-config
   - it is deactivated afterwards
   - after reboot it is activated permanently but not in the preferred
     for the user way (I troubled which key to use as Cyr/Lat switcher)

BULGARIAN
   - console-cyrillic is not configured during the first stage
   - during base-config jbterm is active (although this might be
     console-tools like the Latin languages and Greek)
   - during base-config the Cyrillic task is automatically selected and
     console-cyrillic installed
   - the user configures the keyboard as he or she wishes
   - after base-config jbterm and Cyrillic are deactivated
   - after reboot the user has customized Cyrillic on the console

> By the way, what do you think about bug #260227?

The quick fix can be:
  1. d-i doesn't feed console-cyrillic with default configuration
  2. console-cyrillic allows the user to choose "don't touch the
     keyboard"

The best fix is to add support for non-i386 in console-cyrillic.  I can
do this if there are testers.

By the way I observed the following bugs during second stage of the
installer with Russian language:

There was a message before the configuration of the base-system:

cyr: Unknown option: -t
cyr: Try `cyr --help for more information

However for some unknown reason the Cyrillic setup worked. ;-)

Then in tasksel I selected no tasks.  I expected that only a small
number of packages will be installed but what a surprise: the result was
a system with about 1GB installed packages that contained even
OpenOffice!  This is a grave bug, OpenOffice is going to be installed on
every server in Russia.  Probably the same problem exists for other
languages, we don't have enough testers for all languages.

During its configuration mueler7-dict said that it works only with UTF-8
and no UTF-8 locale is available in the system.  Consider using UTF-8 as
a default encoding for Russian or excluding mueler7-dict from the
Russian task.

Anton Zinoviev

P.S. I'm sending a CC to Peter Novodvorsky, maintainer of the Russian
     tasks in tasksel.