How should discover and hotplug work together (Was: RFC: discover 1 -> 2 transition plan for Debian)

[Marco d'Itri]
> "Belonging, or pertaining, to a proprietor" (Webster)
> I meant something that is specific to a single program, feel free to
> choose a more suitable word.

Right.  Here it is mostly used as another word for non-free, and I did
not see how the discover database was non-free.

> BTW, I'd like to talk with the discover maintainers (who are them?)
> about #208155 and #143329, which may be relevant again now that
> hotplug has been fixed, and about when in rcS.d discover and hotplug
> should be started.

I'm not a discover maintainer as such, but I stay close to them to be
able to get my patches included now and then. :)

Both the bugs you list are about the relative order of the SysV init.d
scripts.  I wish Debian had better dependency handling for the init.d
scripts. :/

I did not get very wise reading the bug reports.  The issues at hand
seem to be that there are several hardware detection packages.  Some
of the load kernel modules, some of them configure the network, some
of them configure X and some of them do all of these.  The relative
order of these, and the order of these among the rest of the init.d
scripts is a real pain to get "right", for some definition of right.

I guess a good start is to write down how the boot sequence should
work (probably with several scenarios, as some people had
autodetection while others like it), and then come up with a way to
this come true.

A question to ask is how the different hardware detection packages
should work together, if they should be able to installed on the same
host.