Re: RFC: discover 1 -> 2 transition plan for Debian

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 06:59:01PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> > > I've experienced some problems with hotplug earlier, as it is
> > > using the info in /lib/modules/<version>/modules.*map directly.
> > > If more than one module claim to support a given PCI id, it seem
> > > to pick any one of them.  The tools having a separate hw database
> > > have an advantage here, where the maintainers can select which of
> > > these modules to use for a given PCI id.  Is this problem solved
> > > with newer hotplug versions?

> I think there is a very small number of these devices in 2.6 kernels,
> which can be easily be blacklisted even in the default install.
> I definitely welcome more input on this.

How difficult is this blacklisting to do?  Is filing bugs against the
hotplug package sufficient?

I'm interested because if we need hotplug anyway for pc-card stuff and
possibly for correct udev support, it might make sense to not bother
with discover2 at all, and just use discover1 for 2.4, and hotplug for
2.6.

(I don't know what the 2.2 folks need)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey