Re: RFC: discover 1 -> 2 transition plan for Debian

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:07:13PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Gaudenz Steinlin]
> > As I and David are going to take over the maintainership of discover
> > 1.5 we are interested in fixing the transition plan now.
>
> If I understood you and David correctly, you wanted to go ahead with
> the transition, but did not have time to do it yourself.  I'm looking
> into doing this now.  Please object soon if I misunderstood anything.
This is Ok with me. I will be busy with real life until 4/15. I really hope
I find more time to work on d-i and discover afterwards.
IIRC Branden agreed to an NMU by the debian-boot Team of discover2 if
Progeny does not upload it. Ian Murduck then replied that he will upload
soon, but this has not happend since then. According to him the maintainer
of discover2 should be set to discover-workers@lists.progeny.com.

> If I remember correctly, we agreed on a variant of alternative 1:
>
> > 1. Alternative:
> > This is basically branden's proposal, see this mail[1] for more details
> > a) rename discover to discover1
> > b) upload discover 2 as discover (with all the debs and udebs)
> > c) drop discover1 when discover (2) provides all the features we need
> > and works well
>
> We rename discover to discover1, but keep the name of the udeb
> (discover-udeb).  We upload discover 2 as discover, but peek the name
> of the udeb (discover2-udeb).  At least the first upload will need to
> get past the ftp-masters NEW queue.  Not sure how it work when a new
> package take over some of the pakcage names of an old package.
Yes, I think we agreed on this plan.

> I'm looking into the rename from discover to discover1.  It require
> quite a few file renames to make sure the binary, manual pages and
> maintainer scripts are correct.  I hope I find them all.
Why do you want to rename the files? I would simply put a "Conflicts:
discover (>= 2)" into the discover1 package. You probably won't install them
both on the same system.

> I'm not sure how discover-data should be handled yet.
I would rename it to discover1-data. (leaving discover-data-udeb as it is).

Gaudenz