Re: I'm interested in helping with the installer "help text"

Quoting John Buttery (john@io.com):

>   I found the debian-installer project, and I'm in the CVSWeb interface,
> but I can't seem to figure out which files you want me to edit.  What's
> the CVS module name to check out?  It looks like it might be 'd-i',
> which would give me the entire project tree...bit of overkill just to
> get the docs but I don't really mind, I have plenty of HD space.  :)

>From my crontab file:

# Checkout debian-installer
55 19,5 * * *   cd /home/bubulle/src/debian/d-i/HEAD ; CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d bubulle@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/d-i co debian-installer

So, yes, this is "d-i" module.

> > Templates files are located for each package, in the debian
> > directory. Their name is either "templates" alone....or
> > "package.templates". For some packages, templates are generated on the
> > fly, and the file to be proofread is "templates-in" (or something
> > similar).
>
>   Will the "templates-in" file be in the same directory as the
> [package.]templates file (if it exists)?  So basically, I edit
> templates-in if it's there, otherwise package.templates or templates?

More or less yes. This is not always consistent all along d-i modules,
however..:-)

>   OK.  Just to be clear, this is the document you're referring to:
>
> http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/debian-installer/doc/translations.txt?rev=1.14&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=d-i
>
>   Based on this file, my selection of "first file to examine" is:
>
> http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/debian-installer/tools/languagechooser/debian/templates-in?rev=1.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=d-i
>
>   There's only really one sentence in there to examine, and I don't see
> any way to improve that one, but the point is I want to double-check the
> logic of navigating the CVS tree to the right files.

You're OK. languagechooser is the first file we ask translators to
translate, so this is the first which sould be proofread also.

After it, you may go ahead.

> > When you have at least one file ready for proofreading, then go for
> > it, correct it with a text editor, then (at least for the first ones)
> > repost it there (if possible with a diff). For the first files, this
> > will allow us to share points of view about some user input
> > choices.....
>
>    OK.  Is "diff -u" the preferred format?

That should make it.