Re: German translation for d-i

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:06:34AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
[...]
> >   * debian-installer_*_de.po are de.po files for all debian-installer
> >     components.  Their name is obtained by replacing / by _ in file
> >     full path (but the debian/po part is removed), e.g.
> >     debian-installer_tools_lilo-installer_de.po is similar to
> >     debian-installer/tools/lilo-installer/debian/po/de.po and package
> >     name is lilo-installer, so you should file a bug against this
> >     package.  Please flag your bugreports with the d-i tag.
>
> Well, this does *not* work. I (and others) did some translations for
> d.i.

You did not follow these guidelines, so I do not see why you claim it
does not work.

> Since there is no interface for translaters like DDTP, I filed
> bugs. Now those bugs are wandering through BTS and it seems to be a
> random walk. My translation is now a year old and still not considered

You filed #173016 on December 14th, 2002 against the installation-reports
package.  According to
 http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/tools/aboot-installer/debian/changelog
Tollef included your translation on December 16th but forgot to tag it
as pending.  This package was uploaded on July 20th, 2003.  For unknown
reason this upload did not close this bugreport.
It was then reassigned to aboot-installer by Joey Hess on September
23rd, so any regular aboot-installer committer would discover that your
translation was already incorporated if Goran Weinholt did not reassign
it to aboot on September 28th.

I am closing this bugreport now by Cc'ing 173016-done.

Please note also that Thorsten Sauter updated the German translation
later.

>  -- quite the opposite: I recently tried to get it included but
> everyone told me, that he is not responsible and that I should find
> the person responsible.

It is a pity you were not directed to the right persons.

> I recently sent a mail to debian-boot
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200312/msg00063.html
> in an attempt to understand where those bugs are supposed to go (and
> also in the case of the aboot-installer who is maintaining it) but I
> did not get a response (it is "only" a fortnight ago, btw.).

Right, in such cases do not hesitate to ask again.
>From what I wrote above in my previous post, it should be pretty clear
that package name is aboot-installer.  There are indeed problems when
packages have never been uploaded and thus are not yet known to the BTS,
but AFAICT they do not fall into the same black hole as your one,
especially if they are tagged with d-i.

> For me, d-i is not very friendly to work with currently. I'd rather
> prefer to have a single address (person, mail robot, whatever) to send
> my translations to than just expect mere coincidence (and lots of
> people telling me to find someone else).

Thorsten Sauter and Dennis Stampfer work on German translations, maybe
one of them could act as a proxy if you prefer working this way.
Each language team works according to their own rules, you have to
find how to work together without duplication of work.

Denis