Re: German translation for d-i

> Well, this does *not* work. I (and others) did some translations for
> d.i. Since there is no interface for translaters like DDTP, I filed
> bugs. Now those bugs are wandering through BTS and it seems to be a
> random walk. My translation is now a year old and still not considered
>  -- quite the opposite: I recently tried to get it included but
> everyone told me, that he is not responsible and that I should find
> the person responsible.

Well, you raise an interesting point here : chasing down bugs noone
cares about....

Do you have the bug numbers for the translations you made ? You have
probably already published them in the debian-boot mails you mention,
but I can't check this currently (being offline).

> For me, d-i is not very friendly to work with currently. I'd rather
> prefer to have a single address (person, mail robot, whatever) to send
> my translations to than just expect mere coincidence (and lots of
> people telling me to find someone else).

There is certainly some progress to do here. Currently, yes, and as
far as I know, including translation work mostly depends on a few
people invloved in d-i. So far, I've seen several commits by Gaudenz,
Alastair, Denis, Joey, etc.....

We maybe need an internationalisation coordination for d-i. We also
need a i18n tag to the BTS (and that need is not d-i
specific....several people involved in i18n have already asked for
it....isn't it Martin (Quinson)?)

> I really like to help translating, but first I like to know if there
> is a chance that these translations are actually included.

SUre ? They *will* be included. I don't have CVS access (and don't
want to have one as I'm a bit afraid of mistakes....:-))) but I'm
pretty sure that your work will be included.

You mentioned aboot-installer : this is not, for sure, the package
which got the most attention recently.....but this is not a very good excuse..:-)

> P.S. How is the french team handling this?

Well, luckily we have Denis Barbier and Pierre Machard in the
team. Both very active on both the l10n side and d-i side.

Denis scripts post a daily reminder in debian-l10n-french with the d-i
translation status.

Translators (we are a few : between 5 and 10, for d-i stuff) grab
the file which needs update by using Denis pages

The updated file is posted for proofreading with the [DDR] tag, if
proofreading is needed. When it is OK, it is posted again with the
[RELU] tag.

As the same system is used for non d-i packages, we use an additionnal
tag [d-i].

As soon as a [RELU] [d-i] message appears in the list, either Denis or
Pierre commit the translation in debian-installer CVS.

We also used (in the past), the BTS for this....

Besides all this, I informally act a d-i translation coordinator for
the whole french team : I follow what happens in -boot, try to act
when a translation is "forgotten" somewhere and sometimes, I even
prepare the update when the usual translator cannot make it quickly.

All this system is not as formal as it appears : it basically depends
on a few people giving most of their Debian time to translation....:-)

IMHO, the most important brick in all this are Denis work for posting
daily status updates.

As the german team is obviously late, these update could maybe be sent
for german language like they are for french. Do you think that would
be possible, Denis ?