Re: Start using new SETTITLE cdebconf command

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 04:49:09PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[...]
> Is this the same comment format as used in the gettext handling in
> KDE?
>
> Do all programs using gettext use the same method for passing
> instructions to the translators?

No, in fact these comments are introduced to distinguish several
identical msgids which may have different translations based on
the context.  Usually if a gettextized string is preceded by a
comment, it is automatically inserted in PO files, this is
the most common way to put comments in PO files.
As debconf has no support for comments, I did not want to decide
of a comment format, and putting extra markup in msgids is the
only solution.  Kenneth Christiansen (one of the intltool upstream
authors) told me that they did use this format (i.e. in Perl
regexp /\[\s[^\[\]]*\]$/) in Nautilus and were quite happy with it,
so I get it too.

Dpkg has introduced some comment support in control files, so I will
make po-debconf recognize these comments very soon.

Denis