Re: Language and locale setting in /root/dbootstrap_setting

At Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:52:29 +0900,
Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > base-config could check the locale, run the apropriate program and
> > restart itself afterwards. This means: load fonts for latin* and koi8*
> > locales, or start the special terminal programs for Japaneese and
> > similar.
>
> I've got an impression that we need jfbterm for Japanese,
> but someone told me it needs fonts from X, and it
> pulls in a LOT of dependencies...

Jfbterm is a little slow but provides good CJK console on FB screen.
It supports ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-2, ISO-2022-JP, EUC-JP, ISO-2022-CN,
CN-GB, ISO-2022-KR, EUC-KR and Wansung if you installed such pcf fonts.

Yes, jfbterm depends xfonts-base package for displaying Japanese
character.
But it really needs only pcf files, so doesn't need xutils or
xfree86-common.

Do you have any good solution?
I thought how about making new 'jfbterm-tiny' package which includes
some pcf fonts, but it may cause dependency and upgrade problems.

There is another CJK console 'kon2', is more compact than jfbterm.
But it can't work correctly on some machines (such as my laptop ATI
Rage128).
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org