Re: critical problems in 2.3.5 prevent release

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 05:56:08AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 08:07:43AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> >
> > First, I agree with you. However, my question is *what* is broken? Should
> > dpkg know about DEBIAN_FRONTEND? How do conffile prompts get handled
> > otherwise? Certainly there should be an elegant way to install a bunch
> > of packages without prompts?
>
> for now all i care about is debootstrap and installing the base
> system.  FAI is a completly seperate bucket of worms were not going to
> worry about right now.

I wasn't thinking of FAI in particular, just the general solution to the
problem we're facing.

> the base system is composed of a very small set of packages and there
> should never be a case where the config file question should come up
> when installing base, period.  powerpc-utils is broken.  (or maybe its
> dpkg's handling of diverted conffiles i don't really know).  packages
> in base should also not be asking questions in postinst, or blinding
> running config programs *cough* quik *cough*.  they should at the very

quik is a PITA.

> least check $DEBIAN_FRONTEND and skip such things (without breaking
> the install).  this is really not much to ask of the base system.  at
> the moment there is only two packages im aware of that violate these
> conditions:

FWIW I'm not disagreeing with you, but is this a matter of policy or
personal taste? I don't recall reading about DEBIAN_FRONTEND or no
conffiles in base packages in policy, but I could've missed it. Perhaps
this is something that needs to be formally addressed somewhere or
perhaps it is and I just need a pointer.

> powerpc-utils
> quik

According to Richard Hirst, gcc-3.0 (at least for hppa) also has an
issue.

> bugs are filed against both, once powerpc-utils does away with the
> useless diversion the conffile thing will be fixed.  aph or someone
> will have to NMU quik since the maintainer is MIA AFAICT.
>
> i would actually like to see the force-conffold thing go away as soon
> as powerpc-utils is fixed so we can catch and fix any more broken
> packages.  i would also  like to see debootstrap output the
> packagename its working on when it encounters an error, its really
> annoying to have nearly no way to find who is generating the errors
> except seeings whats brokenly installed after debootstrap finishes...

The way debootstrap is setup, that won't help, you have to look at the
logs. debootstrap is running a repeat 20, more or less brute forcing the
fixup of all the base packages (at least if understand correctly).

<stephen@marenka.net>