Re: critical problems in 2.3.5 prevent release

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:30:47PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:10:42AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> >
> > powerpc-utils wants to update a conffile. The prompt fails because stdin
> > is /dev/null. You then get repeat 20 failures of dpkg because
> > powerpc-utils never configures. This should be fixed in
> > debootstrap-0.1.10. I usually hand-patch the woody script
> > (/usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/woody if memory serves) to include
> > --force-confold before I install base (while I wait for
> > debootstrap-0.1.10 to show up ;-).
>
> its in sid now.  i think the force-confold is the wrong solution
> personally.  any package running into this problem is broken and
> should be fixed.  --force-confold is treating the symptom, not the cause.

First, I agree with you. However, my question is *what* is broken? Should
dpkg know about DEBIAN_FRONTEND? How do conffile prompts get handled
otherwise? Certainly there should be an elegant way to install a bunch
of packages without prompts?

> one thing that would help is setting boot-command to that hack that
> waits for the disk to spin up and tries again.

I have that hanging around somewhere. I'll see if I can't dig it up and
add it in.

Is there a way to test to see if the nvramrc patches have been applied?
We could at least prompt the users then.

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>