Re: critical problems in 2.3.5 prevent release

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 08:07:43AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> First, I agree with you. However, my question is *what* is broken? Should
> dpkg know about DEBIAN_FRONTEND? How do conffile prompts get handled
> otherwise? Certainly there should be an elegant way to install a bunch
> of packages without prompts?

for now all i care about is debootstrap and installing the base
system.  FAI is a completly seperate bucket of worms were not going to
worry about right now.

the base system is composed of a very small set of packages and there
should never be a case where the config file question should come up
when installing base, period.  powerpc-utils is broken.  (or maybe its
dpkg's handling of diverted conffiles i don't really know).  packages
in base should also not be asking questions in postinst, or blinding
running config programs *cough* quik *cough*.  they should at the very
least check $DEBIAN_FRONTEND and skip such things (without breaking
the install).  this is really not much to ask of the base system.  at
the moment there is only two packages im aware of that violate these
conditions:

powerpc-utils
quik

bugs are filed against both, once powerpc-utils does away with the
useless diversion the conffile thing will be fixed.  aph or someone
will have to NMU quik since the maintainer is MIA AFAICT.

i would actually like to see the force-conffold thing go away as soon
as powerpc-utils is fixed so we can catch and fix any more broken
packages.  i would also  like to see debootstrap output the
packagename its working on when it encounters an error, its really
annoying to have nearly no way to find who is generating the errors
except seeings whats brokenly installed after debootstrap finishes...

> Is there a way to test to see if the nvramrc patches have been applied?
> We could at least prompt the users then.

not really, because some oldworlds always have an nvramrc.  apple
apparently found some bugs in thier firmware, and rather then just fix
them they wrote nvramrc patches and burned them into the ROM.

Apple OpenFirmware engineers of the time smoked large quanties of
crack...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/