Re: BOGL bterm

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 02:34:41PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>:
>
> > > Here are the instructions for using bterm. I'd like to hear from anyone
> > > who has time to try this, but I'm away from computers from April 8 till
> > > April 15, so I won't reply during that period. I'll probably
> > > unsubscribe debian-boot, so please copy relevant messages to me.
> >
> > Just a question, do you have access to a sparc-linux system? I've done
> > some mucking around with bogl/bowl to get it atleast compiling on sparc.
> > Problem is two fold, one it doesn't reset the frame buffer when it exits
> > (I have to use fbset to get back to a sane state), and two it offsets at
> > weird places. I.e., it the graphics displayed are at the top of the screen
> > (and above I assume), with junk on the bottom half of the display.
> >
> > If you have any ideas how this is broken, let me know. I'm really
> > interested in getting it to work on sparc.
>
> I have a SPARCstation 2, but I had to get rid of the screen due to
> lack of space, unfortunately. (The display was only just legible with
> the curtains drawn and too heavy for my table. And people kept
> tripping over it.)
>
> I wonder if the offset is caused by a scrolling facility. Is it a
> constant offset, or a random one? If it's random, perhaps all that is
> needed is for some quantity to be reset when the frame buffer is
> initialised. /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/fbcon.c - search for
> "scroll" - has some clues to what sort of mechanisms exist, but I
> don't know much about it myself.

It is random. And I do believe it has to do with scroll. Note, this is an
ATI Mach64 Card (UltraSPARC 5), so to be honest, I have no idea how the
standard sun framebuffers work. I'm pretty sure they work similarly
though.

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '