Re: BOGL bterm

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>:

> > Here are the instructions for using bterm. I'd like to hear from anyone
> > who has time to try this, but I'm away from computers from April 8 till
> > April 15, so I won't reply during that period. I'll probably
> > unsubscribe debian-boot, so please copy relevant messages to me.
>
> Just a question, do you have access to a sparc-linux system? I've done
> some mucking around with bogl/bowl to get it atleast compiling on sparc.
> Problem is two fold, one it doesn't reset the frame buffer when it exits
> (I have to use fbset to get back to a sane state), and two it offsets at
> weird places. I.e., it the graphics displayed are at the top of the screen
> (and above I assume), with junk on the bottom half of the display.
>
> If you have any ideas how this is broken, let me know. I'm really
> interested in getting it to work on sparc.

I have a SPARCstation 2, but I had to get rid of the screen due to
lack of space, unfortunately. (The display was only just legible with
the curtains drawn and too heavy for my table. And people kept
tripping over it.)

I wonder if the offset is caused by a scrolling facility. Is it a
constant offset, or a random one? If it's random, perhaps all that is
needed is for some quantity to be reset when the frame buffer is
initialised. /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/fbcon.c - search for
"scroll" - has some clues to what sort of mechanisms exist, but I
don't know much about it myself.

Edmund