Re: bogl

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> writes:

> Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>:
> > How far are we from an i18n'ed version of bf ?
>
> Soon I would like to try building boot-floppies with the language
> chooser and all the messages in UTF-8 running on the UTF-8 virtual
> terminal, just to see if it works. This way of doing things might
> never be used in a Debian release because bowl might be ready in time
> for the woody release instead,

Pardon my lack of clue, but what is "bowl" ?

> but a vitual terminal that shares code
> with bowl could still be useful for running on vt2 or for when the
> user wants a shell, and running dbootstrap on it is a good way of
> testing the terminal.

Well, remember we do have post potato point releases.

I still think i18n'd potato boot-floppies is doable (maybe not by
potato release, but not too hard) for potato.

> If UTF-8 is to be used other than internally in dbootstrap, then at
> some point we'll need ae (or some other tiny editor) to work in UTF-8.

Good point.

> Another fun thing I want to try is to see if fonts can be effectively
> compressed using libpng instead of gzip ...

Huh... What's the win with that?

> A general design problem I worry about is whether localisations can be
> added to boot floppies without recompiling the code. Should there be
> separate language packs and a script that adds them into root.bin,
> base.tgz, etc so that people can continue adding and improving
> localisations after a Debian release and without having to learn how
> to build boot-floppies?

I'm happy to continue to build and burn new potato bf even after
potato release.  The ideas is that base.tgz is already i18n'd, or
should be, or else it is pkg bugs and not our fault, and that root.bin
itself is i18n'd (still todo).