Re: m68k boot-floppies

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 07:42:30PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:
>
> > which will be copied to release/ and renamed somehow soon.
> > If I understood the layout now correctly, the 1440 files (which will be in
> > release/images-1.44) should be moved in flavour/images-1.44 and the remaining
> > root* files as well as linux* and drivers*.tgz go into flavour/ ?
>
> These aren't flavors, are they, they are subarchitectures.  Flavors
> are just variations for a single architecture.  The only arch which
> needs this that I know of is i386.
Ok ok, its subarches, not flavours. But my general understanding was right?

> See the top-level README-Users.m4 for a description.  But I'm pretty
cts@ap031:~/user/CVS/boot-floppies>grep m68k README* |wc
      2      13     172
m68k is exactly mentioned twice...
> sure these are subarches, not flavors, so I don't know why you would
> have a 'release/images-1.44' -- what would those files apply to ?
> That only makes sense for i386, which has no subarches but rather
> flavors, and there is a "vanilla" flavor, which is like no flavor at
> all.
na... during the build all *.bin files, linux* *1440*, etc are moved into
$release and picked from there to be moved to subdirectories (on all arches
but i386 probably). The other arches use subarch/images-1.44 for the (once)
1440 files, when they are in images-1.44 they are renamed, some shell magic
removes the 1440.

> I'll let Nick do that, but I will say that raw disk images are what
> goes in images-1.44 etc.  Files specifically for installation under a
> given OS should probalby be placed, i.e., in mac/macos or some such.
For slink it was mac/debian, why not just mac/, atari/, amiga/?

slink hade some scripts for the ftp maintainers, telling about the directory
layout. Is this still needed? I think its all explained in the tar.gz files
and I could find anything similar for other arches. Anyway, as they are now,
they are completely outdated.

Christian