Re: [i8n] Latin 2 fonts need modification in rootdisk.sh

Matej Vela <vela@debian.org>:

> > At about the time slink was being prepared someone produced some fonts
> > that abused the SFM (meaning that the console wouldn't work in UTF-8
> > mode). Are iso02g.psf and iso03g.psf still those same fonts?
>
> Yes (that someone would be me).  A few notes, though:
>
> * lat2-u+lat1 also "abuses" the SFM.

Are you sure? In what way? Are we talking about a font in
console-data? I've never seen a console-data font not work in UTF-8
(and I would submit a bug report if I saw one).

> * AFAIK, we have no better solution other than "abusing" the SFM.  (I
>   don't think using UTF-8 is an option.)  UTF-8 users (which are rare
>   anyway) can simply change the font if they mind.

I'm not suggesting using UTF-8. I'm also not suggesting we change in
potato stuff that is almost working now.

But there is an alternative to abusing the SFM: you use a correct SFM
plus a correct ACM, and you make sure both are loaded. It might be a
bit more complicated, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

If there's something I've failed to consider, please explain.

Edmund