Re: [i8n] Latin 2 fonts need modification in rootdisk.sh

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 10:46:32PM +0000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com>:
> >     Risko> I stopped arguing about iso02g.psf in console-data package, because it's
> >     Risko> unneccesary. We can use consolechars --font lat2u-16 -u lat1u command to
> >     Risko> see all of the graphics characters and latin 2 characters well.

I disagree.  The iso*g fonts were made for two reasons: first, the
lat2u-16 font doesn't display correctly on VGA cards, and second,
(IMHO) it looks very, very ugly.

> At about the time slink was being prepared someone produced some fonts
> that abused the SFM (meaning that the console wouldn't work in UTF-8
> mode). Are iso02g.psf and iso03g.psf still those same fonts?

Yes (that someone would be me).  A few notes, though:

* lat2-u+lat1 also "abuses" the SFM.

* AFAIK, we have no better solution other than "abusing" the SFM.  (I
  don't think using UTF-8 is an option.)  UTF-8 users (which are rare
  anyway) can simply change the font if they mind.