Re: 24MB bootable CD install image

[Ian: Removed debian-cd, since it doesn't seem relevant (sp?).]

> Ian> The reason is, the boot-floppies kernel images aren't all the same, and
> Ian> don't all work on various machines. For example, my own box at home is an
> Ian> Athlon 500 on a Gigabyte MB (AMD chipset) with EIDE (no SCSI); certainly
> Ian> the slink boot kernels had problems (CD 1 (default?) doesn't boot, CD 2
> Ian> (compact?) locks up if you leave it alone for a few minutes).
>
>  Do you have a configuration that works with it?  Perhaps we can
>  generate a `flavor' set for it.  I imagine the Athlon's are getting
>  fairly popular.

I can send you a config if you want, but it's not very complex. In make
config just choose the PPro processor - or the Athlon, in the 2.3 series :-)
- and no SMP, no SCSI. Everything else I chose just matches my setup.
Those are the only things I can think of that seem to be significantly
different between how I configure the kernels and how they usually seem
to be pre-configured by others.

I'd love to join debian-boot and help figure out why the standard
kernels don't work, but the mailing list server doesn't seem to want to
let me join. :-(

Ian
Ian Bailey-Mortimer <mortian@astracon.com.au>  <_><