Re: Debian Installation from non IDE bootable CDROM (SoundBlaster 16)

"willdj" <willdj@epo-box.com> writes:

> >From a personal perspective, I believe that the Debian team can learn a lot
> from the RedHat installation process, which auto probes the CDROM and
> actually picks up the correct DMA, IRQ and Base IO of the card.

Yes indeed.  I wonder what software RedHat uses to do this.

> Whoever comes up with a simple base installation mechanism for Linux, that
> gets the user up and running without having to go through hda1,hda5's and
> /mnt and /usr /dev/fd0 etc. etc. will in fact make MS Windows obsolete.  The
> install process of Windows is the ONLY thing that Microsoft is actually good
> at :) well ya know what I mean.

Yes, I understand.  We're trying our best but time and volunteers are
pretty limited, and not many delelopers have the old proprietary sb
cd-roms.

Could you possibly test the potato boot-floppies (current 2.2.5, 2.2.6
should release soon)?  I beleive some issues regarding non-ATAPI
CD-ROMs have been install but it would be good for us to know whether
this problem still exists w/ the potato boot-floppies, which is what
we are actually using now.

Note that I'm not actually suggestion you install the potato stuff --
in many ways, that has more problems right now than the stable stuff.
Just that you test the potato stuff so we know whether we have fixed
these problems for the upcoming release.