Re: Debian Installation from non IDE bootable CDROM (SoundBlaster 16)

Glenn,

Many thanks and especially for being so prompt.  I have tried to do
something similar to your suggestions including loading vi and editing the
mtab and fstab file entries on mount points, unfortunately the shell is very
limited at this point of the installation.  Ismod has reported on each
occasion that the sbpcd module is loaded.

I will try your suggestions and let you know how I get on, but as you know
its now 1:30 AM Sydney Aus time so I will give it a go tomorrow night.  I
have a feeling that I will have to use my IDE drive from one of my other PCs
:( but will exhaust my limited Linux knowledge to get it to work first.
(Part of the Linux fun I guess)

>From a personal perspective, I believe that the Debian team can learn a lot
from the RedHat installation process, which auto probes the CDROM and
actually picks up the correct DMA, IRQ and Base IO of the card.

Whoever comes up with a simple base installation mechanism for Linux, that
gets the user up and running without having to go through hda1,hda5's and
/mnt and /usr /dev/fd0 etc. etc. will in fact make MS Windows obsolete.  The
install process of Windows is the ONLY thing that Microsoft is actually good
at :) well ya know what I mean.

Once again thanks.
Keep up the great work, I admire you guys.

PPS I was using xChat on my RedHat box when I visited the IRC channel...
which prompted an amusing response ;)  !doh REDHAT wheres the sword hehe...

Dave