Re: dac960 devices on boot-floppies

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 07:01:49PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Mark van Walraven <markv@wave.co.nz> writes:

> > I only ever bothered to create nodes for drives 0-3.  Perhaps it would
> > be acceptable to drop the other 28.  Or perhaps keep only 8 drives.
>
> I not quite sure I understand this -- I'm just running MAKEDEV
> dac960.0.  That makes rd/c0d{0..31}*.  You're saying I can safely
> delete rd/c0d{4..31} ?

Yes - provided you don't mind the installer only being able to see the
first four (or however many you choose) drives.  Hopefully there is a
happy medium between too few drives and too many devices.

> > Does it matter that much?  Ramdisk, right?
>
> Yup.  It's not critical...  but it seems like a lotta devices.

And that's for only one controller!  In the long term, I think it will
become necessary to populate /dev by probing.

Regards,

Mark.