Re: dac960 devices on boot-floppies

nf <nf@marginal.net> writes:

> been there, done that. as far as I can tell, the following things have to
> happen in order for the dac960 to be supported:
>
> /dev/rd/* devices on root.bin and base system (/dev/MAKEDEV has this, but the
> current entry creates 2048 devices which is unreasonable for a ramdisk image)

Well, if you can give me the right mknod commands, I can hand code
this into rescue.sh so the devices are on the rescue disk.

Regarding getting this fixed permanently, have you filed a wishlist
bug against makedev?  It's really the proper way to get changes in
place.  The maintainer is very responsive.

> dac960 driver in kernel-image (currently a loadable module)

This is very difficult.  We are currently maxing out the kernel image
size for a bzimage kernel, apparently.

> and finally, the difficult one:
>
> dbootstrap/libfdisk/etc must recognize /dev/c0d0 as an installation
> candidiate for partition/base install/system install/etc.

I think this is pretty easy to hack into dbootstrap ...

> since the dac960 has been merged into the kernel as of 2.2.13 (?) I assume the
> /dev/rd/* location in /dev has linus's blessing.. do we expect other hardware
> of this type to use a similar format for /dev entries?

I dunno... I guess is devfs gets rolled in, then all bets are off.