Re: New style raid support during install (was Re: kernel support, v0.36 v's v0.9)

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 02:32:58PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > On the assumption that the *boot* disk is not raid, can't it be
> > modularized?
>
> Not if you want to have the same kernel for the boot disk and an installed
> system.  Remember it isn't too useful to  be able to install Debian but
> only to fail later when booting the installed system from the harddrive.

I still don't get it.  If we're booting into a non-RAID partition
(say, hda1) and then mounting a buncha raid partitions, why couldn't
the raid module be modularized?  "Loading modules..." occurs *before*
"Mounting local filesystems..."

OTOH, it's kinda becoming apparently to me that getting RAID support
into potato boot-floppies is kinda a tall order, even with that
stipulation that the boot system is non-RAID.  It *could* be done, but
the core team (myself included) are too busy with the current bugs and
the baseline featureset we've identified to bother.  If someone else
with CVS access (on a branch?) and time to burn wishes to work on it,
let's talk.

> So basically we should hold off on anything that can't be modularised until
> we get initrd sorted out.

Yes, I'm with you there.