Re: questions about state of boot disks

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 03:19:04PM -0400, Kirk Reiser wrote:
> Let me see if I have you straight here.  We build a small kernel with
> as few options as possible built-in and then we install a larger
> kernel on the hard drive with everything necessary either built-in or
> as modules.
Yes.

>  I like the small kernel idea because it reduces the disk
> space problem and we might be able to have a larger root.bin.  My
> question is how many more disks would we need to use to contain a full
> kernel and modules to be installed.
All scenarios that I depicted assume, that after booting and maybe one
more floppy, the machine will have access to a really big media like CD-ROM,
or the net, from where the rest could be transferred. The full kernel and
modules is then just a tiny part of the installation data and it won't
matter much how big it is.

> I suppose this has the advantage
> of allowing a person to determine at download time a kernel set of
> disks more closely customized for their computer than we currently
> do.
No. The average user without rare hardware will only need the standard
bootdisk. A few users will need an additional floppy image containing
drivers for exotic SCSI adapters or network cards. The full kernel that gets
installed afterwards will always be the same.

What I did not think of was that "net" above could mean a modem which then
requires a pppd to really connect. An additional floppy will be needed for
this. I'm not sure if many people would really like to install a full debian
system over a modem line though...

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source