Re: questions about state of boot disks

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

> Our kernel grew from ~700KB on slink (2.0.36) to >1MB on potato (2.2.x).
> If we keep using the same everything-and-the-kitchen-sink configuration
> to build our kernels, the kernel itself won't fit on a single 1.44 floppy
> for the next Debian release (remember Linus wants to release 2.4.x by
> Christmas). But I guess we all are too busy to work on a modular+initrd
> kernel... :-(

Well, as I said yesterday, I am willing to try to help with the
modification of the boot-floppies.  I won't even start to prepose that
I know a better way of doing it though.  I am sure that discussions
have gone on in the past to which configuration options should be
built-in and which should be modules.  I know I got a reasonable sized
kernel by cutting out the scsi stuff but that's pretty restrictive.
Ideally, it would probably be best if there were some way of probing
and loading modules at installation time but I don't know how that
could be accomplished.

  Kirk

e-mail: kirk@braille.uwo.ca		University of Western Ontario
phone: (519) 661-3061