Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

> The way our current kernel is built was the only way to go before
> initrd support appeared, but initrd has been with us for a long
> time,

As I remember we already use the initrd mechanism. The syslinux config
file says so. When I tried to get initrd working properly I found that
the busybox init consumes the initrd ticket very early, so I couldn't
change the root to the real root again. I have seen people using
chroot for such purposes; I don't remember the drawbacks compared to
initrd.

> That will give the user a smaller kernel, that loads faster and uses less
> memory, and probably will fit his needs without having to recompile.
> That also helps while building different rescue disks.

Currently we run the policy that the kernel on the install system is
the same as theone on the finally installed system. This means we have
to provide tools to create the initrd image reliably; and this tool
has to be used on about every kernel upgrade.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@sax.de>		http://www.sax.de/~sr1/