Re: Blends pages, tasks pages etc.

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:59:18AM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:

> > Believe it or not but there are people out there (even in the science
> > field - for instance the R maintainer) who strictly refuse to use a
> > packaging VCS.  We simply have information in NEW and this should be
> > completely taken over into UDD.  It is not that hard and I'll do it but
> > it just takes some time.  Looking into other tables is a hack that does
> > not work reliable in all cases.
>
> But don't you/UDD already look into RCS if available? The information
> about the version number in the git is in qa, ddpo and in the blends
> tasks pages. If this is stored in some table, and the NEW information in
> a separate table (as I assume from your statement on top), why not just
> combine them here?

If some package is in new it is detected by checking the table
new_packages and the information is taken from this table (exclusively).

If a package is not in new it is checked whether it can be found in
blends_prospective_packages table which is created out of a *selection*
of VCSes (Git and SVN) of known Blends.

I'm quite positive that the best way to solve your problem is the
properly import all data that is available in the new queue rather than
hacking around this by checking other (not necessarily related) tables.

To make clear what I mean:  The WNPP bug number is obtained from the
"Closes: <bugnumber>" statement of the latest changelog entry that can
be found in VCS.  Assume a developer starts a new changelog entry after
uploading to new.  That way the Closes phrase vanishes from the latest
changelog entry.  So this information is not in the table containing the
VCS data and we can not reliably look it up there.