Re: Blends pages, tasks pages etc.

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 02:45:43PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:

> > Moreover I can't see why it should be in the interest of users to
> > hide descriptions an screenshots per default.
>
> It is just the long description that is hidden -- the short one is
> visible and gives a good hint of what the program does. This is what I
> would expect a user to look for if he browses a lengthy list. If he is
> interested, the longer description is just one click away.

I keep on failing how you draw the conclusion what users are expecting.

> > I asked *several* users and they like the pages as they are.  I have
> > no idea about astronomy users.
>
> I would guess this is not so much about the field of interest but
> whether you ask new users or older ones. This is basically the same as a
> layout change of a newspaper -- regular users tend to want the old
> version kept.

Sorry, you are wrong here:  I asked always *new* users (after talks
presenting it or asking new colleagues).  Users are also very keen on
seeing relevant publications.  Please trust me here as long as you have
nothing than plain assumptions what users possibly might like.

> >> We could try to implement the pieces that you still miss in my proposal
> >> by keeping the Debian Design there (this is basically an implementation
> >> of the "#all" flag, right?).
> >
> > I'd be interested in seeing this to enable evaluation and hearing opinions.
>
> I now uploaded a working version for the Debian Astro Blend. As a typical
> example , you could take the "Development" list
>
> http://blends.debian.org/astro/tasks/development
>
> and compare it with f.e. the old (similar) science/astronomy-dev task list:
>
> http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/astronomy-dev

I admit I do absolutely not like the shortened list since it is
something totally different than it was intended.

> > I repeat: I see no evidence that users are served better with one
> > liners.  Please backup your statement by some arguments.
>
> The one-line list give a better overview on the task as a whole. For the
> example above, you have all packages on almost one screen page.

Which is something else than the tasks pages.  Feel free to create such
a display but name it differently and use a different link.  There might
be some need for this but it is in no way a replacement for the tasks
pages, sorry.

> The old
> approach goes over several pages; although it overrides the default
> font size to make it smaller.

I do not care for the size but the fact that we have the entire
information about the packages.  You simply want something else which is
fine but please do not describe it as replacement for the existing tasks
pages.

> Finding a specific package (let's say libqfits-dev) takes longer in the
> old approach since you have to scroll down and at the same time try to
> read the package names (which are also in a small font, and their
> columns are mixes with the short description, the home page, the
> maintainer, and the long description. At least, they are bold). The
> one-line attempt allows to search just with your eyes in a small,
> well-structured table (one column just with packages names).
>
> The new approach

s/new/other/

> also allows to read all in one page: just click "show
> all details" at the head, and you get the page with all available
> details -- similarly to the original page, but like according to the
> Debian CSS (so: standard header, standard fonts etc.).
>
> BTW, the hash tags still work:
>
> http://blends.debian.org/astro/tasks/viewers#saods9

To sumarize: Please leave the existing tasks pages untouched and find a
better name for your new display.  I'm fine with *css* modifications of
the tasks pages but not with turning them into something else.

Thanks