Re: Redesign metapackage creation for Debian Blends

Hi Emmanouil,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:07:36PM +0300, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> In the project details you also make a reference to the debtags as an
> additional source of information and up to now we have not discussed it
> yet. The main purpose of the project is to rewrite the blend-gen-control to
> create architecture dependent metapackages using UDD(this is clear) and
> also provide a way ,when creating metapackages, to keep track of the
> added/removed packages between releases(that is also clear). I read also in
> some previous discussions in the mailing list:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2013/03/msg00032.html about your idea
> of possibly having debtags and tasks side by side for metapackages
> creation. I got the main idea but in the moment I can not really imagine
> how it can be done(i need to spend more time in the debtags wiki and
> investigate more on the subject)

Good that you mention it.  The point is that I'm finally undecided what
to really do and I just have no idea for a proper wording of the
specification.  For the moment my idea is the following:  If we manage
to create the metapackages by information in UDD debtags are just one
SELECT query away.  If it turns out that a Blend might *really* maintain
their DebTags (which is TTBOMK not the case) we could easily invent a
command line switch to use DebTags instead if tasks information.  This
would not change the principle of your code.  We could work on this
topic in the case that we have a lot of time left after solving the main
task.

> As soon as the main purpose of project is finished and is functional(and by
> that time I will be more confident about how things are working) we can try
> to to find a way to also use debtags information in  the metapackage
> creation.

Exactly.  As you see above this perfectly fits my plan.

> If you agree , do you want me to add it in the project details
> as a possible feature, since it is not yet clear,at least for me, if and
> how can be done?(more and better ideas, also for the changelog entry
> creation, will surely come up while actually working and coding on the
> project)

I'm fine if you put this into the project description in the sense above
as some optional goal or so.