Re: Redesign metapackage creation for Debian Blends

Hello Andreas,

I couldn't checkout from:

 debcheckout blends-dev

It dumps as output:

declared svn repository at svn://svn.debian.org/blends/blends/trunk/blends/
svn co svn://svn.debian.org/blends/blends/trunk/blends/ blends-dev ...
svn: URL 'svn://svn.debian.org/blends/blends/trunk/blends' doesn't exist
checkout failed (the command above returned a non-zero exit code)

I use the latest stable Debian 6.0.7 and it has as a stable latest version of blends-dev the 0.6.15
As i saw here : http://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2012/11/msg00051.html ,  from blends version 0.6.15 to 0.6.16 the Vcs changed from Svn to Git, so I suppose the Svn repo does not exist anymore that's why the debchekout of blends-dev 0.6.15 does not work?

I downloaded the source code of blend from git : git://git.debian.org/git/blends/blends.git where the latest tag is : 0.6.16.2 . The code of blends-dev is under the directory blends/devtools? So the blend-gen-control perl script  is the one that should be replaced with a totally new python design?
Thanks

Kind regards

Emmanouil Kiagias

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hello Emmanouil,

thanks for your interest in Debian Blends!

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:16:23PM +0200, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Emmanouil Kiagias, I am a 5th year undergraduate student in
> Informatics University in Athens(Greece) and currently finishing my
> internship as a technical student at cern. I am very interested in the
> project "Redesign metapackage creation for Debian Blends". From my
> experience up to now I am quite familiar with both Python and SQL
> programming.

Sounds good.

> I am willing to study and learn whatever I will need to design and complete
> such a project.I already started reading from various sources online about
> Debian Blends, UDD etc in order to have a better understanding about the
> purpose of the project.

Great.

> I would be grateful if you could suggest specific sources which will help
> me to acquire a better understanding of the requirements and milestones
> that I should include in my proposal.
> Thanks for your time.

The best source of information is currently

    http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/

BTW, the source of this document is inside the blends-dev package source
which you can check out from Vcs using:

     debcheckout blends-dev

The Perl part of this code should be replaced in the GSoC project by a
totally new design based on UDD queries rather than parsing Packages
files.

Hope this helps for the moment and I'd be happy to mentor you.  Feel free
to ask more detailed questions here on this list.