Re: Redesign metapackage creation for Debian Blends

Hi Emmanouil,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04:44AM +0200, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> > We should also try to achieve some kind of changelog entry creation
> > between the latest release and the current release that lists added
> > and removed packages per task.  This was requested by release team
> > and others.
> >

> Can you give me some more details on this subject in order to obtain a
> better understanding?

As you noticed the debian/control file is auto generated depending from
the content of the package pool.  In unusual cases this could mean that
without any manual change in the source the resulting source package
could be different from a previous version simply because packages were
added (or removed) from the package pool.  These kind of changes are
not reflected inside debian/changelog ... but should.  I imagine the
following for debian/changelog (here using Debian Med example):

debian-med (1.14) unstable; urgency=low

<start_manual_changes>
  * Build-Depends: blends-dev (>= 0.6.17)
  * ...
<end_manual_changes>

  * Changes in metapackage dependencies
    - med-bio:
       added: package_a, package_b, ...
       removed (optional): ...
    - med-...
  * New metapackages
    - med-...

 -- Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> [creation date / time]

debian-med (1.13.2) unstable; urgency=low

To solve this we need some way to store the old dependency list of
the previous package.  Some json file comes to mind and it would
not harm to store the dependency status of *all* versions inside
such a json database.  This could in addition come very handy for
the team analysis I did in

   git://git.debian.org/git/blends/website.git

   in dir misc/team_analysis_tools

which in this case would boil donw to graphing this json file rather
than checking VCS tags.

> > Hint: I'm subscribed to debian-blends mailing list and if you confirm
> >       you are reading this list as well I will stop CCing you as it is
> >       the usual policy on Debian lists.
> >

> Yes I am also subscribed to debian-blends mailing list.

Fine.