Re: French translation of ???Debian Pure Blends???.

Le Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:48:47PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 06:09:50PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 01:00:14AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >> if ???Blends??? is intended to be like a brand name, then indeed it
> >> does not need to be translated.
> >
> > If anything should be treated as a brand name, it is the full triple.
>
> Yes.  That's the reason why the correct spelling is
>
>    _D_ebian _P_ure _B_lends
>
> (with all capital letters).
>
> >> Since « Blends pur Debian » gives the appropriate Google keyword to the
> >> French reader, I think that it would be a good compromise.
> >
> > Dropping "pure" from "Debian Pure Blends" is a bad compromise IMO.
>
> ... and even if a non-English capable French native speaker reads this
> he can easily guess what it means because the writing is quite similar
> (I admit the grammar makes it a bit complicated most probably).

I can turn the argument the other way round. For instance, French people can
easily guess that the ‘European Union‘ is what we call in French « Union
Européenne », and yet we use the translation, and would feel… sorrowed to say
the least, if we were requested to not translate it in order to avoid
misunderstadnings.

Similarly, I do not feel like using something that would be read « debianne
French. I really think that « Blends pur Debian » is enough and unambiguous.
It is the parallel usage of both terms in multilingual ressources that will
establish their pairwise relationship (a kind of linguistic do-o-craty…).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,