Re: French translation of ???Debian Pure Blends???.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:32:46AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am recommending ???assemblage pur Debian??? as the French translation for ???Debian
> Pure Blends??? on the debian-l10n-french@l.d.o mailing list. I just would like to
> double-check here if this translation is well accepted by the french speakers
> who are not subscribed to debian-l10n-french. For wines, an ???assemblage??? is a
> mixture of different years or varieties.

I'm strongly against "translating" a noun (in the same manner as I would
not address Charles as "Karl" in a German text).  As far as all my
language education reaches nouns just will not be translated and doing
so in this specific case would IMHO add a language barrier to the
understanding of the Blends concept.  I just had this discussion with
German translators and we agreed to use "Debian Pure Blends" (in quotes)
and you might perhaps add the assemblage as an explanation in () - but
please stick to this term to enable cross language communication.
Imagine a French speaking user who only knows your translation and is
refering in English text to "assembly" as his reverse translation ...