Re: BrDesktop as Debian Pure Blends

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 07:22:44PM -0300, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> > Fine.  Is it OK to maintain the stuff in the alioth SVN?  I would suggest
> > something like
> >
> >     svn://svn.debian.org/blends/projects/brdesktop/trunk/brdesktop/
> >
> > if you don't mind.  If you have a better suggestion or some other
> > place (for instance Debian Edu has metapackage building stuff outside
> > of the blends SVN for hostorical reasons and we maintain it with SVN
> > external link - just tell me what you prefer).
>
> Hmm, note that brdesktop.org website is actually a Trac system. We use its bug
> tracking system integrated to the wiki, blog, mailing list and our svn
> respository:
>
> http://brdesktop.org/cdd/browser (browse source in svn)

Yes, because I assumed that you just have set up an SVN I was asking what
you prefer.  The URL I suggested above or something else.  If you decided
either give me permission to inject some code in BrDesktop SVN or tell me
who needs permission on the alioth project.  It is fine either way for me -
you decide.

> This is part of the attempt of having new contributors working with us. We
> consider the Trac BTS is easier to handle than Debian BTS.

No problem about this.  I'm just interested in the location of the brdesktop
metapackage code.

> I'm not sure about
> Alioth's. Please give me some time to check this. The thing is we want to give
> a chance to the new user to easly handle bugs, send patches etc - in our own
> language.

That's perfect.  But I doubt that new users might commit to packaging SVN.
It is fine if they submit bugs / patches to a different BTS - those who
actually fix the bugs / apply the patches (you, me, other member of BrDesktop
developer team) well need to access the SVN.  IMHO, the actual location of
the SVN has not much influence.  You have not yet set Vcs fields in
brdesktop-* control information - so I assume you do not yet maintain this
packaging there and we are free to choose.

> The issues which are related to non brdekstop-* packages we (or those
> more experienced people from BrDesktop team) address to Debian BTS and explain
> the user how to do it for the next time.

This is completely unrelated to the location of the Vcs used for brdesktop
metapackages and I do not suggest any change of this workflow.

> Btw, the mailing list could be migrated easly to Debian infrastructure. I don't
> like to maintain it in our server. Have you used Alioth for this? Or should it
> go straight to lists.d.o? I mean, how's the level of Blends "officialiness" in
> Debian? :)

Currently most blends have a list on lists.debian.org (with the exception of
Debian-GIS which is not really active yet and DebiChem which does not yet
consider itself as a real Blend - try to sort this out at DebConf as well).
If you ask *me* I would go for an official Debian mailing list for two
reasons:

  1. It perfectly fits!
  2. It increases visibility of an interesting project.

Each blend also has a commit list for changes for the alioth project in
addition which makes perfectly sense.  So I would suggest to file a bug
against lists.debian.org asking for a list (now ... because creation takes
some time - so we will have this list at DebConf).

> For now I would prefer giving you write permission to BrDesktop svn repository.
> So you (maybe we) could start working on the packages in the blends-dev way
> there. In a near future we can decide where would be the best place to keep the
> source. If you agree, just tell me your login after registering at:
>
> http://brdesktop.org/cdd/register

It is 'tille'.

> Then use "svn co https://brdesktop.org/svn/trunk";. You can create a new dir, or
> do whatever you want to start the job.