Re: BrDesktop as Debian Pure Blends

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:23:33PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 04:10:09PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > This link may help:
> >
> > http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=devel@listas.brdesktop.org
>
> A, OK:
>
> $ apt-cache search brdesktop
> brdesktop-artwork-usplash - Brazilian Custom Debian Distribution - graphical boot theme
> brdesktop-artwork-gnome - Brazilian Debian Pure Blend - GNOME artwork
> brdesktop-artwork-grub - Brazilian Debian Pure Blend - grub theme
> brdesktop-artwork-splashy - Brazilian Debian Pure Blend - splashy graphical boot theme
> brdesktop-common - Brazilian Debian Pure Blend - common packages
> brdesktop-config-gnome - Brazilian Debian Pure Blend - GNOME settings
> brdesktop-gnome - Brazilian Debian Pure Blend - GNOME flavour

First: Yes, BrDesktop is (at least it is intended to be) a Pure Blend
Second: Yes, we *do* need to integrate it to the current blends infrastructure
which you have been building. That will be great!

Please let me give you some info about this project:

I've been coordinating this project in Brazil since Otavio decided to priorize
other fields in Debian from 2007. BrDesktop is nothing more than the new face of
the former Debian-BR-CDD. I hope you agree the name BrDesktop is much better
than Debian-BR-CDD :)

The fact is we needed something which would say the distribuition is Debian,
it's built for Brazilians and it's for Desktop users. So we released the
following name/slogan for the project:

"BrDesktop:
	+ simples + Debian"

which is supposed to mean:

Br = For Brazilian users
Desktop = For desktop users
+ simples = simpler than using the regular Debian iso *for this public*
+ Debian = it's Debian. Actually it's an attempt to differ from forks and other
non-oficial stuff like Ubuntu which have gained popularity in Brazil,
increasing the distance between users and the Debian project.

There are more ideas involved on this project, such as the intent of being a
kind of bridge to prospective Brazilian contributors; providing some 'stable'
testing suite snapshots for users who don't want to keep using stable, as André
has said; helping non english speakers to address issues to bts, and so on.

On 2009-04-30 we released BrDesktop Lenny[0] and I personally consider this one
as a Pure Blend, even not adhering to the blends-dev at that time. However, I
can point out the three biggest issues in BrDesktop Lenny which I'm going to
work during DC9 in order to avoid happening in the future releases:

* We didn't get the benefits of the current Debian blends infrastructure;
* Some brdesktop-* packages didn't go to Lenny in time, so we had to release a
  BrDesktop Lenny with some packages present in sid only;
* I had to add a d-i hook in order to avoid a grub splash issue which was not
  handled in time for Lenny (even having submited a patch in time [1]).

[0] http://times.debian.net/1323-BrDesktop,-a-Debian-Pure-Blend
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=498114#10

> So I wonder whether it makes sense to use the Blends framework to build
> these packages.  If you ask me it makes perfectly sense and if you have
> doubt about the "extra workload" which comes with the artwork packages
> I can ensure you that it is perfectly possible to handle this with the
> existing blends-dev package.

By considering the first issue I list above I didn't add BrDesktop in any
official document from Debian. I wanted to have it using blends-dev before
doing so. Now André did, so it's time to work on this and of course your help
will be very welcome!

> If you consider this an interesting idea I would love to volunteer porting
> these packages to blends-dev.  Tiago, I have heard you will join DebConf.
> Would you mind spending one hour on this task - I don't think it needs more
> time to reproduce the existing binary packages while gaining profit from
> the other advantages which come with Blends tools.

Yes, you even didn't know that, but it has been included in my DC plans
bothering you in order get these things done :)

I probably wont work on this before DC due to other pending work I have to
conclude in Debian, such as my NM process, but feel free to hack the packages
if you want. The worst case we address this during DC, which is not bad at all.

Best regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz
http://tiagovaz.org