Re: First Beowulf cluster. Some pointers?

In 06 Dec 2000 15:28:57 +0100 Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> cum veritate scripsit :

Hello,

It seems like I gotta have something to say being the mpich maintainer...
and having had revived ~16 SparcStations into a Beowulf cluster ;)

> This brings out a question I know I asked before and I can weagley remember
> getting an answer to it, just not exactly what it was :).
>
> I also have some 486's, simple pentiums, a couple of Dec stations etc...
> I even think I can get me a old VAX1 if I really want to! (but I don't,
> it's _HUGE_ and _LOUD_!! :) Can ALL these machines be a part of the same cluster?
>
> I just have a big aversion to throwing (working) things away, and why not
> putting them to (good) use if possible? :)

Yes, and this brings back attention to the rather old bug of mpich, which says
it can't do multiple architectures on Linux. I don't really know if it's fixed or not,
or will be fixed in the near future. At least, not in the changelogs I could find.

My old and rather slightly outdated notes are at
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/sparc-cluster/clusterinstall.html/

It's very very slow when you are using 16 nodes for sure. It's a pig to start up any
application.

Any specifics of using mpich, I would be able to help.

regards,
	junichi

--
University: ti0113@mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp